Ultra Bookshelf Speaker
The SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers are the rare speaker design that deliver effortless full-range sound and an expansive soundstage with pitch-perfect accuracy and pinpoint imaging. A true reference quality speaker, critics and music lovers celebrate the absolute transparency while home theater speaker fans laud the room-energizing dynamics and palpable bass output. It’s an amazingly balanced speaker that radiates acoustic power while rendering the finest details with precision and refinement.
Every design element of the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers was scrutinized to achieve cost-no-object audio performance and build quality to create a groundbreaking bookshelf loudspeaker. Countless design innovations and world-class build materials result in reference sound quality and stunning dynamics normally reserved for the world’s most expensive speakers.
Whether handling the warm and engaging sound of vinyl or the demanding, multi-layered soundtrack of an action movie, the Ultra Bookshelf speakers deliver a powerful and convincing audio experience and are among the top audio investments available at any price.
The Ultra Bookshelf speakers represent an uncompromising approach to loudspeaker design. From the drivers and crossover to the build materials and cabinet design, every element is painstakingly engineered and tested to achieve reference sound quality.
Ultra Driver & Tweeter Design
A commanding presence in any home audio system, the 6.5-inch mid-bass drivers feature composite glass-fiber cones that yield excellent stiffness to mass ratio for enhanced sensitivity and voicing that’s transparent and completely faithful to the source material. These capable drivers render an accurate tonal balance with effortless authority and dynamics. Whether conveying the varied nuances of musical instruments and dialogue or the sonic impact of sound effects and movie scores, the Ultra drivers deliver pinpoint accuracy with precise imaging and a massive soundstage.
Elevating high frequency performance, the Ultra Bookshelf speaker’s aluminum dome tweeter is pristinely neutral and revealing. Light, efficient, rigid and impervious to distortion, even at high sound pressure levels, the tweeter’s airy’ presentation of vocals and unveiled highs compare with the best tower and bookshelf speakers in the world. The FEA-optimised diffuser ensures broad dispersion for an incredibly wide and convincing soundstage and perfect on- and off-axis frequency response so everyone in your room experiences the same stunning clarity.
Intelligent SoundMatch Crossover Design
No expense was spared with the innovative SVS SoundMatch two-way crossover. The unique topology creates a broad, yet focused and precise soundstage, with accurate frequency response and imaging at all listening positions. The precise tuning of the SoundMatch Crossover also ensures balanced output from sparkling highs to the crystal clear and commanding midrange, down to visceral and authoritative bass.
Performance Driven Cabinet Design and Geometry
Every feature on the Ultra Bookshelf speaker cabinet is designed with a sonic purpose in mind. Tapered edges on the cabinet’s front baffle, known as chamfers, minimise edge diffraction for clear and precise soundstaging. Internally, each cabinet employs separate sub-enclosures of the mid-bass driver and tweeter to optimise performance and minimise interaction between drive units.
Meticulous, Innovative Design Process
All SVS speakers, regardless of price or form factor, are crafted in the same painstaking fashion. Call it a marriage of exacting science and a passionate expression of technique and love of great sound.
Before a model is ever constructed, drivers and cabinets are theoretically designed by our acoustic engineers using sophisticated computer-aided design (CAD) processes . Then prototypes are carefully measured and optimized in an anechoic environment to achieve pitch-perfect frequency response. After the ideal theoretical frequency response is attained, exhaustive listening and measurement is done in listening rooms calibrated to closely resemble typical home-like room environments.
The result is a speaker that measures well with near-perfect real world frequency response, but also optimised to sound amazing on a human level through listening tests with real music and cinematic content, in a real world listening environment like your home.
Specs and Features
Frequency Response / Acoustic Data:
- Rated bandwidth: 45 Hz-32 kHz (+/-3 dB).
- Nominal impedance: 8 ohms.
- Sensitivity: 87 dB (2.83V @ 1 meter full-space, 300-3kHz)
- Recommended amplifier power: 20-150 watts.
- Bookshelf Loudspeaker
- Real black oak veneer, piano gloss black, and gloss white finish options
- Dual gold-plated 5-way binding posts
- 1.7” wide-flared rear-firing port
- Cloth grille with pin/cup retention system
- Elastomer stick-on bumper feet (adds 3mm to height)
- Cabinet Dimensions: 15” (H) x 8.5” (W) x 10.6” (D) (without grille)
- Overall Dimensions: 15” (H) x 8.5” W x 10.9” (D) (with grille)
- Shipped Dimensions: 24" (H) x 20" (W) x 14" (D)
- Weight: 19 pounds
- Shipped Weight: 42 pounds
1” Aluminum Dome Tweeter:
- FEA-optimized diffuser for airy and unveiled presentation
- Aluminum dome delivers exceptional transient response and exceptional stiffness/mass ratio
6.5” Midrange Drivers:
- Composite glass-fiber cone with excellent stiffness/mass ratio for high sensitivity and pistonic behavior beyond pass band.
- Aluminum shorting rings to reduce gap inductance and lower distortion
- Long stroke motor and suspension for high output
- Vented voice coil formers to minimise air compression artefacts at high drive levels
Crossover & Cabinet Specs:
- 2-way crossover with premium-grade capacitors, air-core inductors and heavy-trace printed circuit boards
- Crossover frequency and slopes optimised for excellent off-axis polar response, outstanding phase coherency, and total radiated sound power
- Tweeter-to-woofer crossover: 2 kHz
- Acoustically transparent and FEA optimised grilles, wedge-shaped front baffle and flush-mounted drivers all contribute to reduced edge diffraction and improved on-axis high frequency response
- FEA-optimised bracing reduces cabinet resonances